Dr Maarten Soeters
+44 (0)1223 336786
As an endocrinologist, I am interested in translating basal research to the human situation. Herein I focus on different metabolic pathways that are related to glucose/lipid metabolism and energy expenditure. In the IMS, I investigate the thermogenic response to cold and food components. Through improved understanding of the central and peripheral mechanisms that regulate thermogenesis and energy expenditure, we hope to identify mechanisms that may be suitable to prevent or control weight gain, ultimately improving cardiovascular and metabolic health (such as type 2 diabetes mellitus) in overweight individuals. Other closely related areas of interest include starvation, acylcarnitines, thyroid horome and bile acid metabolism.
1. Vrieze A, Schopman JE, Admiraal WM, Soeters MR, Nieuwdorp M, Verberne HJ, et al. Fasting and Postprandial Acitivity of Brown Adipose Tissue in Healthy Men. Journal of nuclear medicine: official publication, Society of Nuclear Medicine. 2012 July 31. Abstract.
2. Soeters M, Soeters P. The evolutionary benefit of insulin resistance. Clinical Nutrition (Edinburgh,Scotland). 2012. Abstract.
3. Soeters MR, Sauerwein HP, Groener JE, Aerts JM, Ackermans MT, Glatz JFC, et al. Gender-related differences in the metabolic response to fasting. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2007 Sep;92(9):3646–52. Abstract
4. Soeters MR, Sauerwein HP, Dubbelhuis PF, Groener JE, Ackermans MT, Fliers E, et al. Muscle adaptation to short-term fasting in healthy lean humans. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2008 Jul;93(7):2900–3. Abstract
5. Soeters MR, Serlie MJ, Sauerwein HP, Duran M, Ruiter JP, Kulik W, et al. Characterization of D-3-hydroxybutyrylcarnitine (ketocarnitine): an identified ketosis-induced metabolite. Metabolism. 2011 Dec. Abstract
6. Heemstra KAK a, Soeters MR, Fliers E, Serlie MJMJMJ, Burggraaf J, van Doorn MBMB, et al. Type 2 iodothyronine deiodinase in skeletal muscle: effects of hypothyroidism and fasting. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2009 Jun;94(6):2144–50. Abstract
7. Soeters MR, Lammers NM, Dubbelhuis PF, Ackermans M, Jonkers-Schuitema CF, Fliers E, et al. Intermittent fasting does not affect whole-body glucose, lipid, or protein metabolism. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2009 Nov;90(5):1244–51. Abstract
8. Soeters MR, Sauerwein HP, Faas L, Smeenge M, Duran M, Wanders RJ, et al. Effects of insulin on ketogenesis following fasting in lean and obese men. Obesity (Silver Spring, Md.). 2009 Jul;17(7):1326–31. Abstract
9. Soeters MR, Huidekoper HH, Duran M, Ackermans MT, Endert E, Fliers E, et al. Extended metabolic evaluation of suspected symptomatic hypoglycemia: the prolonged fast and beyond. Metabolism: clinical and experimental. 2010 Nov;59(11):1543–50. Abstract
10. Soeters MR, Sauerwein HP, Duran M, Wanders RJ, Ackermans MT, Fliers E, et al. Muscle acylcarnitines during short-term fasting in lean healthy men. Clinical science (London, England : 1979). 2009 Apr;116(7):585–92. Abstract